Saturday, August 1, 2015

"The Other Daughter" - Lauren Willig

Hello fellow bibliophiles! Today's book, The Other Daughter by Lauren Willig, was possible thanks to NetGalley. Thank you! First off, if you read one of my recent post, The Secret History of the Pink Carnation (found here), you will understand my feelings towards Willig. I have thoroughly enjoyed her books both series and non series books. I have also wrote a review on one of her other books, The Last Summer, which can be found here! I have never read a book of her's that I did not like. That said, I had some pretty high standards and hopes for this book. Here's a brief summary:

A governess in France who receives word that her mother has fallen ill, Rachel Woodley flees back home to England. Upon arrival, Rachel finds out that her mother has already passed and is now left on her own, penniless and jobless. While cleaning out her mother's room, Rachel discovers a society news clipping of what appears to be her father dated only a few months before. But how can that be? Her father died when she was very young. Rachel sets out to find out who this man is and if he really is her father. If so, that would mean her whole was a sham. In order to discover the truth, Rachel sets out to immerse herself into the high society England, new identity in tow. Will the truth set her free or will it ruin not only her life but the family of the man she believes is her father?

What I found difficult when reading this book was the writing itself. From the beginning it moves through each scene very quickly, often darting and taking leaps that just happen to pop up at the right time. The book only scraped on the surface of having depth and the ending was rushed along, basically leaving you hanging out to dry. Yes questions were answered but then nothing more. Compared to Willig's other books, this was a huge let down. I was very disappointed. Maybe my standards were just too high. I would have liked more into the ending of the story and less of the middle. But once again, that's just my opinion. As always, feel free to share any recommendations, suggestions, or comments!

Happy reading fools :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love hearing feedback and your thoughts on the book!