Monday, October 5, 2015

"Land of Stories: The Enchantress Returns" - Chris Colfer

Hello fellow bibliophiles! I hope everyone is kicking their week off on a positive note! Today I finally have  a review for you after what has been a long 6 weeks since my last post (sorry!). I ended my Sunday by finishing up the second book in the Land of Stories series by Chris Colfer. Don't worry, there are no spoilers if you haven't read the first book yet! You can find my review of that book, The Wishing SpellHERE. The following quote is from the book, spoken by Old Mother Goose to Connor Bailey that I think does a great job at setting up the story:


"For years the world presumed she was dead -- her whereabouts were unknown and left unsaid. In the shadows she stayed, quietly plotting, a vengeful wrath she planned on igniting. Driven by rage and centuries of sorrows, a suppressed fear shall soon be tomorrow's. After failing to curse a princess's death, she's now set her sights on the world's last breath. 'Happily ever after' will be a thing of the past -- for the evil Enchantress has returned at last...." (page 111).  


One thing that is important to note is the audience this book is directed towards. Reading the book as an adult, I felt at times Colfer's writing fell short and was "elementary." Reading the book as a 10 year old, the audience that the book is wrote for, I wouldn't have notice something like that. That being said, kids will love this book and its characters. The way Colfer portrays classic fairy tales by taking the traditional and adding his own spin to them is hilarious, even as an adult. At the same time, I sometimes question if he went to far. Is it a good idea to portray Old Mother Goose as an alcoholic with a gambling addiction? Maybe not. Granted not all character descriptions are that drastic and that example is the most extreme out of all the characters in the story. You have to admit. It is pretty funny though. All that being said, the series still makes for great bedtime reading. The two main characters, twins Alex and Connor Bailey, give great messages throughout their time in the Land of Stories. They can teach the readers about bravery, courage, and standing up to bullies in a positive way. These, as well as many other themes, are presented throughout the stories and are great for all kids to read and learn about. Overall it's a good series. Great material for parents to read to their kids or for kids to read on their own. Currently there are four books in this New York Times Bestselling Series. I'm sure I'll get to the next two soon! I am quite curious to see how they progress!

As always, feel free to share any recommendations, comments, or suggestions. I'd love to hear from you!

Happy reading fools :)      

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love hearing feedback and your thoughts on the book!