Saturday, October 24, 2015

"Mug Meals" - Dina Cheney

Hello fellow bibliophiles! I have a different type of book for you today. A recipe book! I received this book through NetGalley. Thanks for the ARC! This review wasn't easy to write. I tried to focus more on the book and writing itself, rather than the recipes. Recipes, whether good or bad, should not be held against the author. That's simply a matter of opinion. My review, therefore, focuses on how easy or not the recipes were to follow, layout, etc.

"The secret to fast and easy meals cooked from scratch is hiding in plain sight in your kitchen. The microwave oven is not just for reheating leftovers and making popcorn anymore. With pantry ingredients, a mug and a microwave, you can create a meal in minutes that rivals those cooked in the oven or on the stovetop. Mug MEALS! is the perfect solution for new cooks, busy families, singles, college students, teens, seniors or anyone who just wants a hot meal without all the cleanup. 

Make a meal for any time of day. Breakfast options include Lox and Bagel Strata, Double Berry French Toast; for lunch try Moroccan Pumpkin and Chickpea Stew, White Bean Gratin with Olives and Lemon or Double Carrot Soup. Dinner entrees include Chinese Chicken with Noodles and Black Bean Sauce, Classic Shepherd's Pie and Lasagna; dessert selections feature Mango Coconut Crumble, Molten Chocolate Cake with Truffle Filling, Peach and Cornbread Stuffing and more."

The book was very well written. The beginning has a great introduction section that lays out the different ingredients, measurements, and items that Cheney uses throughout the recipes. Recipes are very easy to follow, many with substitutions for things like gluten-free or vegan. Photographs throughout the book are done really well. I did try 5-6 different recipes throughout the sections of the book. While I personally didn't care for the recipes themselves, like I said previously, I cannot hold that against the author. That's simply my personal opinion on what I like or don't like. As always, feel free to share what you think about the book or recipes. I'm open to any comments, questions, or suggestions!

Happy reading fools :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love hearing feedback and your thoughts on the book!