Friday, January 29, 2016

"How to Fall" - Jane Casey

Hello fellow bibliophiles! Today's review is a great Young Adult mystery I just happened to come across when perusing the library shelves. I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it!  Even better, its a series!

Sixteen-year-old Jess Tennant has never met any of her relatives, until her mom suddenly drags her out of London to spend the summer in the tiny English town where her family's from. Her mom's decision is surprising, but even more surprising is the town's reaction to Jess. Everywhere she goes, people look at her like they've seen a ghost. In a way, they have—she looks just like her cousin Freya, who died shortly before Jess came to town.

Jess immediately feels a strange connection to Freya, whom she never got to meet alive. But the more Jess learns about the secrets Freya was keeping while she was alive, the more suspicious Freya's death starts to look. One thing is for sure: this will be anything but the safe, boring summer in the country Jess was expecting.

Beloved author Jane Casey breaks new ground with How to Fall, a thrilling and insightfully written mystery.


I think for me, the biggest surprise was how well wrote the mystery of the book is for being a YA book. It wasn't cheesy or typical in any way and I honestly didn't know what the final result was going to be until I was actually reading it. Usually, I have a good idea how YA mysteries will end before I get there, so this was a nice surprise to be kept guessing. There's a lot of normal teenage drama typical of this demographic but it wasn't overpowering and fits the book since it is directed towards teens. Jess is a strong, very determined, hardworking main character. I am intrigued to learn more about the smaller characters like Will, Jess's mom, Petra, and Hugo. Maybe those questions will be answered in the other books. The plot line itself does not continue, though. Don't worry, no cliffhangers! But Casey does continue with Jess Tennant into 2 (so far) more books titled Bet Your Life and Hide and Seek. Both have been added to my TBR list! There is some romance in the book, but nothing too over-the-top. I'm looking forward to seeing how that progresses! Overall, pleasantly surprising YA mystery book that would be great for teenaged girls! As always, feel free to share any comments, suggestions, or recommendations!

Happy reading fools :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love hearing feedback and your thoughts on the book!